Please Note

Whenever you use the links on my blog's to make purchases, such as from Mystic Monk Coffee, CCleaner, and others, I earn a small commission. This commission does not have any effect on your costs.


Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Mass Readings For Tuesday, June 04, 2013

"The Tribute Money" -- by James Tissot

FIRST READING: Tobit 2: 9 - 14

9 On the same night I returned from burying him, and because I was defiled I slept by the wall of the courtyard, and my face was uncovered.
10 I did not know that there were sparrows on the wall and their fresh droppings fell into my open eyes and white films formed on my eyes. I went to physicians, but they did not help me. Ahikar, however, took care of me until he went to Elymais.
11 Then my wife Anna earned money at women's work.
12 She used to send the product to the owners. Once when they paid her wages, they also gave her a kid;
13 and when she returned to me it began to bleat. So I said to her, "Where did you get the kid? It is not stolen, is it? Return it to the owners; for it is not right to eat what is stolen."
14 And she said, "It was given to me as a gift in addition to my wages." But I did not believe her, and told her to return it to the owners; and I blushed for her. Then she replied to me, "Where are your charities and your righteous deeds? You seem to know everything!"

PSALM: Psalms 112: 1 - 2, 7 - 9

1 Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord: he shall delight exceedingly in his commandments.
2 His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the righteous shall be blessed.
7 The just shall be in everlasting remembrance: he shall not hear the evil hearing. His heart is ready to hope in the Lord:
8 His heart is strengthened, he shall not be moved until he look over his enemies.
9 He hath distributed, he hath given to the poor: his justice remaineth for ever and ever: his horn shall be exalted in glory.

GOSPEL: Mark 12: 13 - 17

13 And they sent to him some of the Pharisees and of the Herodians; that they should catch him in his words.
14 Who coming, say to him: Master, we know that thou art a true speaker, and carest not for any man; for thou regardest not the person of men, but teachest the way of God in truth. Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar; or shall we not give it?
15 Who knowing their wiliness, saith to them: Why tempt you me? bring me a penny that I may see it.
16 And they brought it him. And he saith to them: Whose is this image and inscription? They say to him, Caesar's.
17 And Jesus answering, said to them: Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.